If you love watching movies, you will have a lot of thoughts and opinions about the movie. You would want to pen down your thoughts on your blog or your notebook. Many people have the habit of reviewing movies. You do not have to be professional journalist to review movies. Even journalists have a first time doing that. Hence, even you can try your luck and reviewing and see how the words flow from your brain to the keyboard. Reviewing is fun and challenging at the same time.
If you are a movie buff, then you need to know some basic movie terminology. Also when you start writing about a particular topic, you need to know the necessary facts. Ultimately all written material is meant for an audience to read. You may write for yourself, but if the writing is on a social platform, then people will read and go through it. Moreover, if you have knowledge about the film, you can definitely pen down a review for others to read and make an informed choice whether they want to watch the movie or not.
Here are some simple tips on how to go about reviewing a movie.
- You need to familiarise yourself with the basic movie terminology. For example, you might want to add camera movements and all into the review. You first need to understand the meaning and then attempt to write something about the movie.
- Get your facts correct. If you are attempting to review a movie, make sure you know who directed it, wrote it and so on. The main actors and the ones who gave a good performance. Your review should not have a fact that is wrong. If any of the readers spot an error, the mistake can be made public and you will lose your credibility. Double check facts, always.
- Form an opinion about the movie and stick to it. Do not change your perspective every paragraph. Make it a point to not beat around the bush and give the audience a heads up if the movie is worthwhile. Rating is a great way for letting people know whether they should watch it or not.
- Talk about the movie but do not reveal the ending. You are reviewing the piece and not giving spoilers. That will make some people very upset.
- Be simple in your language. Complicated words and phrases might just confuse the reader and you will not end up with a good review.
- Be honest about the movie but also be interesting at the same time. Nobody wants to get bored while reading a movie review. Add puns and jokes, make references and add a little bit of gossip here and there. Add colour to the overall picture of the review that you are painting. Many people online have a very limited span of attention. If you want people to come back to your website, you have to make the writing interesting. Also, add pictures to the review.